Vishaka Vaswani's Recipe Competition Entry
Kheema, Indian style minced Lamb
I didn't personally create this recipe, it's just a standard Indian recipe, but I love it because it's great in this cooler weather, can be frozen and is WLC compliant! (at any level)
500g lamb mince
2 largish brown onions, chopped
3 tomatoes, grated or pureed
1/2 green capsicum chopped
1 small bowl green peas
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 green chili, sliced in half diagonally
1 bay leaf
3 green cardamoms
2 tsp cumin seeds
Spice powder - can be 1 tbsp of garam masala powder OR 1 tbsp curry powder.
1) Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan, put in the whole spices and wait 2 mins till they are aromatic.
2) Add the onion, green chili and ginger-garlic paste, sauté till the onion is translucent
3) Add the capsicum to the pan and stir 2 mins till it wilts, then add half a cup of water.
4) Put in 1 tbsp of curry powder/garam masala
5) Now add the mince and stir to break up lumps. Mix really well to coat mince with all the spices in the pan
6) Reduce heat to medium, add in the tomato puree & cook for 10 min
7) Add a cup of water to the pan, chuck the green peas in too, put the lid on and let it simmer till the water evaporates and the mince is tender.
What about the salt?! I personally add salt at various points - a pinch with the onions, 1 tsp with the mince and a pinch with the tomatoes - this helps to draw water out of the onions & tomatoes and get rid of the raw onion/tomato smell. But you can just add salt to taste when you first put the mince into the pan.
Optional - Garnish with coriander leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice before serving :)